What to Expect From WisDOT
Focus on your safety: WisDOT will make every effort to maintain access to your business and keep heavy equipment away from traffic and workplaces.
Help getting around: Alternate routes, detours and temporary accommodations are made on a project-by-project basis.
Open communication: Project staff host meetings and some will create email lists. Construction teams will also contact you as soon as possible if they foresee direct impact to your business, such as paving near your driveway entrance.
How You Can Play an Active Role
- Identify a chain of communication. Make sure you know how to contact the project team—and that they know how to contact you!
- Work with the project team and/or local government to identify suggested routes and parking for customers, deliveries and employees.
- Work with the project team to identify key points about the project (safety, navigation, capacity) and discuss how to inform your customers.
- Create maps that help customers understand the project and its footprint. Hand these maps out to neighbors and customers and share them on social media.
- Keep in touch with your customers about accomplishments and project timelines to reinforce the message that you are “open for business.”
- Work with your employees to deliver a positive and consistent message to customers about the project and temporary business impacts.
- Contact your suppliers to give them heads up about the project, and continue to communicate with project staff to reduce conflicts between project work and deliveries.
- Consider whether it makes sense for your business to work with employees on shift times, carpooling or telecommuting through the project.
- Some businesses might explore alternate points of sale and methods for customer contact.
- Some businesses might also consider scheduling planned maintenance to coincide with road construction.
Road to Success Checklist: Tried-and-true-tips for businesses impacted by work zones.
Preparation Roadmap:Tips to stay engaged with the project and prepare your business for success.