WisDOT authorizes third party testing companies and examiners to conduct CDL exams on behalf of the State of Wisconsin, and in compliance with the AAMVA 2005 testing model and Wisconsin
Chapter Trans 115.
All third party examiners need to be employed by an approved CDL third party testing company. Detailed information regarding CDL third party company and examiner requirements are listed below, along with links to forms, online services and other helpful information.
Before submitting an application, please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org f or information on how to become a CDL third party testing company or examiner.
To become a CDL third party testing company
To become a CDL third party testing examiner
- Attend and successfully complete a two-week training course administered by Fox Valley Technical College. During this course you will be taught the essential skills and gain the knowledge needed to conduct a CDL examination in accordance with all applicable state rules and regulations.
- Be currently employed by an approved CDL third party testing company or apply to become an approved CDL third party testing company with WisDOT.
- Complete the Third Party Examiner Application
- Send the form and required fee to the address on the form.
New examiner class schedule
The following two-week classes to become a CDL third party testing examiner will be held at Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton, WI on:
- February 10-13 and 17-19, 2020
- July 20-23 and 27-29, 2020
- Oct. 12-15 and 19-21, 2020
Annual recertification requirements
All CDL third party testing companies and CDL third party testing examiners are required to renew their WisDOT authorization certificate annually. Eligibility for renewal:
- The CDL third party testing company must have a satisfactory audit of the company records completed by a DMV CDL third party auditor.
- The CDL third party testing examiner must have a satisfactory CDL testing audit completed by a DMV CDL third party auditor.
- The CDL third party testing company must complete the Third Party Testing Company Application
MV3547, Commercial Driver License Third Party Testing Company Agreement
MV3549, Commercial Driver License Third Party Tester Bond
MV3540 and provide proof of required insurance.
Once reviewed, certificates will be processed and renewed for another year. If the applications are incomplete or denied, the company and/or examiner will be unable to perform CDL testing.
- Non-Resident CDL Training Certification
- CDL Skills Test Tracking Summary
- CDL Tests Annual Log for Third Party Examiners MV3551
- Commercial Driver Testing Record
- CDL Third Party Testing Forms Request
- CDL Third Party Examiner-Company Complaint
WisDOT online services
Additional resources and publications