Disabled parking license plates

Disabled parking license plate

​Are you eligible?

Any person certified by an authorized health care specialist as having a permanent disability is eligible for disabled parking license plates. By legal definition, this includes any person who:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet or more without stopping to rest.
  • Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, another person or brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistance device.
  • Is restricted by lung disease to the extent that forced expiratory volume for one second when measured by spirometry is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest.
  • Uses portable oxygen.
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV, according to standards accepted by the American Heart Association.
  • Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.

If the disability that qualifies you for disabled parking privileges is a result of an injury incurred while in active U.S. Military service, you may apply for disabled veteran license plates. Disabled veteran license plates provide the same parking privileges as disabled parking license plates.

A person with a temporary disability does not qualify for disabled parking license plates, but may qualify for a temporary disabled parking identification permit.

Persons that qualify

Disabled parking license plates may be issued to a person with a permanent disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk, who is one of the following:

  • Owner of a vehicle.
  • Lessee of a vehicle.
  • Person who is regularly transported by the owner or lessee of a vehicle.
  • Employee who is provided a vehicle owned or leased by the employer.
  • Beneficiary of a trust that owns or leases a vehicle.

Vehicles that qualify

The following vehicles qualify for disabled parking license plates:

  • Automobile.
  • Motor home (annual registration only).
  • Private truck, dual purpose motor home or dual purpose farm truck that has a gross weight of 8,000 pounds or less.
  • A farm truck that has a gross weight of 12,000 pounds or less.
  • Motorcycle (non-personalized only)

Disabled parking license plates use

A motor vehicle displaying disabled parking license plates issued by Wisconsin or any other state or country is subject to all Wisconsin motor vehicle laws and qualifies for certain privileges.

  • May park in spaces marked by official traffic signs reserving the space for vehicles displaying VET or DIS plates or a disabled parking identification (DIS ID) permit.
  • Exempt from any parking ordinance imposing time limits of one-half hour or more, and is subject to the laws relating to parking.
  • May park at a municipally-owned/leased lot without payment in metered spaces when the time limit is one-half hour or more. (Payment may be required for privately-owned parking lots or those with an attendant.)
  • May obtain fuel from a full-service pump at the same price as the fuel from a self-service pump at locations with both types of service, if the driver is the person with the disability. The driver of the vehicle must ask for the same price as charged for fuel dispensed from a self-service pump. The retailer is not required to provide any other service that is not provided to customers who use a self-service pump.

Things you should know

  • A person with disabled parking license plates may be issued one permanent disabled parking identification (DID ID) permit.
  • If you have a valid DIS ID permit, due to a permanent disability, health care certification is not required at this time to receive disabled parking license plates. If you have two permits, one must be returned with the application for disabled parking license plates.
  • If preferred, a person may receive up to two permanent DIS ID permits instead of disabled parking license plates. The permits may be used in any auto, light truck or motor home providing transportation to the qualifying person.
  • A person with disabled parking plates and/or a permanent disability DIS ID permit must be re-certified by an authorized health care specialist every four years.
  • WisDOT may cancel disabled parking license plates that were issued as a result of fraud or error or that were used by anyone not authorized to do so.
  • If you are a licensed driver, WisDOT may review your disability to make sure you are able to exercise ordinary and reasonable control of a motor vehicle. If the certifying health care specialist recommends a re-examination, you will be required to complete a knowledge, highway signs and road test to determine any license restrictions.
  • To legally operate a vehicle, license plates must be displayed within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current license plates, apply to a DMV customer service center that offers registration services or an agent authorized by WisDOT to obtain a temporary plate while the disabled parking license plates application is processed. An agent may charge a plate fee and/or a service fee. You will be required to pay a counter service fee at a DMV customer service center.
  • Disabled parking plates are valid in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
  • Upon the death of the qualifying person, disabled parking license plates must be replaced with regular plates. Credit will be given for any remaining months of registration to the surviving spouse. Wisconsin DMV guide for family members of recently deceased

Personalized disabled plates (not available for motorcycles)

  • Personalizing your disabled parking license plates is optional.
  • A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
  • Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
  • No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is incorrectly or unclearly completed.
  • WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
  • After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive. If you do not currently have disabled parking plates or an ID card, we will send a temporary disabled parking ID card for use until the personalized plates arrive.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

Changing from personalized to regular disabled parking license plates

If you wish to register your vehicle with regular disabled parking license plates at renewal time, or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular disabled parking plates. Include the regular annual registration fee (subtract the $15 personalized plate fee from the total shown on the renewal notice). If you wish to register any other time, send the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Disabled Parking License Plates Application MV2162 - Applicant Section.
  2. Have your health care specialist complete the Health care certification section.
  3. If you wish to receive one permanent DIS ID permit, check the box under the DIS ID permit information section. When using the DIS ID permit, you must keep a copy of the completed application on your person or in the vehicle and provide it to any traffic officer for inspection upon request. Please make and keep a copy of the application, signed by your health care specialist, before sending the application to WisDOT.
  4. Check whether you want personalized or non-personalized disabled parking license plates under the Personalized plate section
  5. If the vehicle you wish to register with disabled parking license plates is already titled in your name, send the following items with the completed application:
    • A copy of your Certificate of Registration (attach to application) or complete the vehicle description on the application.
    • An additional $15 if applying for personalized plates.
  6. If the vehicle is not titled in your name, send the following items with the completed plate application:
    • The title assigned to you.
    • A completed Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application MV1 (Private Sale) or MV11 (Dealer sale).
    • All required fees including the annual registration fee or show a valid plate to transfer.
    • ​An additional $15 if applying for personalized plates.
  7. If a payment is needed, make the check or money order payable to Registration Fee Trust.
  8. Mail the application and all required items to:
  9. WisDOT
    Special Plates Unit - DIS
    P.O. Box 7306
    Madison, WI 53707-7306

Release of non-exempt information

WisDOT uses the information on the MV2162 form to issue disabled parking license plates. Under the open records law, WisDOT must provide information from its records to requesters. If you do not want your name and address included in requests we receive for ten or more records, you may ask the department to withhold your name and address from those lists by completing the Release of non-exempt information portion on the application form.

WisDOT complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.


​Special Plates Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service
Phone (608) 266-3041
Fax (608) 267-5106