To title and/or register a new homemade trailer, submit the following items:
- Completed and signed Wisconsin Title & License Plates form
MV1 (make a copy for your records).
- All applicable fees for title, registration, taxes, etc.
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- A written statement explaining how you built/acquired the trailer.
- If you built the trailer, we need the original receipts and/or invoices for the parts used to build it. These should show that sales tax was paid. If materials used were previously owned by you, please provide a detailed written explanation.
- If you purchased the homemade trailer, we need copies of any proof of ownership from the prior owner.
- An original bill of sale is required that includes the year it was built and the purchase price.
- Photos of the complete/assembled trailer from all four sides including the hitch.
Trailers that have a combined weight and load of less than 3,000 lbs. are exempt from registration per Wis Stat.
341.06(1)(am) Optional registration. All trailers, regardless of weight and size, should have a title.
Mail the application and items listed to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
PO Box 8070
Madison, WI 53708-8070