Sole ownership of vehicle
If the deceased is the only name on the title(s), a surviving spouse or domestic partner can transfer ownership of up to five vehicles solely owned by the deceased spouse or domestic partner. You may either title the vehicle(s) in your name or sign the title on the back as the surviving spouse or domestic partner in order to sell the vehicle. The transfer of ownership will not affect any prior liens upon the vehicle(s).
A copy of the death certificate is NOT required when the deceased owner was a Wisconsin resident and death occurred in Wisconsin. A death certificate may be required for residents of other states.
To transfer ownership to your name, please submit by mail or at a DMV Customer Service Center:
- Statement of Transfer of Vehicles to a Surviving Spouse, Domestic Partner or Heir Form MV2300
- Certificate of Title
- Wisconsin Title & License Plate Form MV1
- There is no title transfer fee for surviving spouses or domestic partners
Send to: WI Dept. of Transportation
P.O. Box 7949
Madison WI 53707-7949
When more than five vehicles that are less than 20 years old were solely owned by the deceased, the remaining vehicles must be disposed of through:
- An administrator of the estate
- An executor of the estate
- A court order
Joint ownership with spouse or domestic partner
- If the title lists you “or” the deceased, only one seller signature is required; the surviving co-owner should sign as the seller.
- If the title lists you “and” the deceased, the surviving co-owner and the deceased’s legal representative must sign the title as the seller. If you are both the co-owner and the deceased’s legal representative you should sign the title twice as the seller.
- To remove the name of the deceased on the title and receive a new title, send to WisDOT formMV2300 Statement of Transfer of Vehicles to a Surviving Spouse, Domestic Partner or Heir and the Certificate of Title (if lost, check box on MV2300 indicating title is lost).
How to transfer ownership to heir
An heir may transfer vehicle ownership when a decedent leaves solely-owned property not exceeding $50,000 in value. See transfer a vehicle to an heir.
Resource: Wisconsin DMV guide for family members of recently deceased