Get new plates
If you need plates for a vehicle you already own (never had plates or the plates were transferred to another vehicle), you can order these new plates online or submit an application by mail or in person.
How to apply online
Personalized and some special license plates are not available using this online service. Review the
eligibility page to check whether this service will work for your vehicle. To use the online application, you need:
- To be an owner of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
- A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11 inch paper to print a temporary license plate
- Either form of payment:
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service.
Direct withdrawal using ACH (Automated Clearing House/electronic funds transfer) payment from your checking or savings account. This payment method is processed using your bank account and routing information. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payments.
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
- Your date of birth
- The license plate number
vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the license plates
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
Please check your vehicle title to see if the body style on the title shows ‘UNKNOWN.’ If so, please contact the support team using the below email before using this system. Include the title number or VIN.
When the transaction is complete, the online service will provide a temporary license plate (see
sample) for you to print and display on your vehicle while waiting for your new license plate(s) to arrive by mail. You will also be able to print your Certificate of Vehicle Registration. These documents will also be sent to your email. See the
instructions for displaying your temporary plate. You will not receive a temporary plate if ordering a motorcycle, moped or recreational vehicle trailer plate.
After you print your certificate of vehicle registration, which lists your new license plate number, please keep it with you when operating the vehicle.
You should receive license plate(s) and expiration stickers in the mail within 7-10 business days after completing the online application.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m. – 9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Apply for new license plates now
How to apply by mail or in person
If your vehicle does not qualify to obtain plates online, complete and sign form
MV1 Title and License Plate Application and mail it with the required fee. You may bring the completed
MV1 to any
DMV customer service center offering title and registration services for immediate processing for an additional $5 counter service fee.
- DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover only). Debit cards will be processed as credit.
- There is a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.