Plate to transfer


If you would like to transfer plates in your name to a different vehicle in your name, you can use this online service.

How to apply online

Review eligibility page to confirm if this online service will work for your vehicle.

To use the online application, you need:

  • To be an owner or lessee of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
  • A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11 inch paper
  • Either form of payment, if renewing the license plate you are transferring:
    • A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service.
    • Or direct withdrawal using ACH (Automated Clearing House/electronic funds transfer) payment from your checking or savings account. This payment method is processed using your bank account and routing information. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payments.
  • A valid email address
  • Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
  • The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
  • Your date of birth
  • The license plate number
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the plate to transfer

Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information (if renewing the license plates you are transferring).

Please check your vehicle title to see if the body style on the title shows 'UNKNOWN'. If so, please contact the support​ team using the below email before using this system. Include the title number or VIN.

When the transaction is complete, the online service will provide a Certificate of Vehicle Registration for you to print and keep in your vehicle. This document will also be sent to your email. 

You will also receive new expiration stickers by mail if you renewed the plate to transfer.

This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.

Start Now 

Transfer your license plates now

How to apply by mail or in person

If your plate does not qualify to be transferred online, complete and sign Wisconsin Title & License Plate Application form MV1. You may bring the completed MV1 to any DMV customer service center offering title and registration services for immediate processing for an additional $5 counter service fee.

  • DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover only). Debit cards will be processed as credit.
  • There is a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.

Email  Wisconsin DMV email service​