Anyone who sells a motor vehicle
from one individual to another individual, including transferring a junk vehicle by bill of sale, must to submit notification to the DMV that a sale has occurred, according to Wis. Stat. 342.41 Identity of buyer.
Within 30 days of a sale the seller needs to report to WisDOT the:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle
- Identity of the individual buyer
- Sale price
- Date of sale
Submitting seller notification online
To submit seller notification online you need:
- To be an owner of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
- Your date of birth
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle
Once completed, you will have the option to print, email or save confirmation of your notification. It will not be noted on the vehicle record.
Click "Start Now" below to get started.
Begin seller notification
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Selling a vehicle correctly
Seller notification does not replace other responsibilities of a vehicle seller. Refer to
selling a vehicle and Instructions for Selling a Vehicle form
MV2928. This form includes a bill of sale for your convenience; it is not a required form. You may keep a copy with your records and make a copy for the buyer as documentation of the sale.
Understand the requirements when selling a vehicle privately