The eMV Public system is
not available for the following:
- You have a Wisconsin title already in your name and are applying for or transferring license plates only. See these for options: apply online to obtain new license plates or
transfer your license plates.
- Out-of-state vehicles with a vehicle identification number (VIN) that our processing system does not recognize. Most automobiles, autocycles, trucks, and motorcycles with a standard 17-digit VIN will be recognized.
- A junk vehicle. Vehicles designated “junk,” “junked,” or the equivalent in any state or country are not eligible for Wisconsin title or registration.
- Registration for a salvage vehicle. Vehicles designated “salvage” or the equivalent in any state or country are eligible for Wisconsin title only.
- The seller is deceased.
- You are titling the vehicle in the name of a trust, company or business.
- You are under the age of 18.
- You are registering a motor vehicle other than an
automobile, autocycle, motorcycle, moped, recreational vehicle trailer, or light truck (8,000 pounds or less or farm truck 12,000 pounds or less).
- You bought the vehicle from a Wisconsin dealer.
Your dealer must title and register the vehicle for you.
- You will have a new loan on the vehicle. Your lender or dealer will assist you in titling and registering your vehicle.
- More than two
purchasers will be on the new title for the vehicle.
- The vehicle is leased.
- You are applying for a personalized or
special license plate with eligibility requirements (Military, collector, etc.).
- You will be hauling packages
- You first started operating the vehicle in Wisconsin as the new owner more than one year ago.
- The seller has a child support lien listed on the vehicle record.
- You have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and need to update your primary residence address.
- You or the seller of the vehicle have restrictions (incidents).
Other conditions may prevent you from using this system. When this occurs, a message will display with instructions. For more information on other vehicles, refer to
getting a title and license plates or
If your title transfer does not qualify for eMV Public, use one of the following options:
- Mail your application to the address listed on the Wisconsin Title and License Plate ApplicationMV1 Application
- Or visit one of the following locations: