The eMV Public system is not available for the following:
- You have a Wisconsin title already in your name and are applying for or transferring license plates only. To obtain license plates, apply online for new plates, or transfer your plates, or complete and sign Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application MV1 and return with vehicle license plate fees.
- The seller is deceased.
- The vehicle is currently titled in another state.
- You are titling the vehicle in the name of a trust, company or business.
- You are under the age of 18.
- You are registering any motor vehicle other than an
auto, light truck or motorcycle, moped or recreational vehicle trailer.
- You bought the vehicle from a Wisconsin dealer. Your dealer must title and register the vehicle for you.
- You will have a new loan on the vehicle. Your lender or dealer will assist you in titling and registering your vehicle.
- More than two
purchasers will be on the new title for the vehicle.
- The vehicle is leased.
- You are applying for a personalized or
special license plate with eligibility requirements (Military, collector, etc.).
- You will be hauling packages
- You purchased the vehicle more than one year ago.
- The seller has a child support lien listed on the vehicle record.
- If you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and need to update your primary residence address.
- You or the seller of the vehicle have restrictions (incidents).
Other conditions may prevent you from using this system. When this occurs, a message will display with instructions. For more information on other vehicles, refer to
getting a title and license plates or
If your title transfer does not qualify for eMV Public, use one of the following options:
- Mail your application to the address listed on the Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application
- Or visit one of the following locations: