eMV Public restrictions

​The eMV Public system is not available for the following:

  • You have a Wisconsin title already in your name and are applying for or transferring license plates only. See these for options: apply online to obtain new license plates or transfer your license plates.
  • You are applying for a personalized license plate
  • Out-of-state vehicles with a vehicle identification number (VIN) that our processing system does not recognize. Most automobiles, autocycles, trucks, and motorcycles with a standard 17-digit VIN will be recognized.
  • A junk vehicle. Vehicles designated “junk,” “junked,” or the equivalent in any state or country are not eligible for Wisconsin title or​ registration.
  • Registration for a salvage vehicle. Vehicles designated “salvage” or the equivalent in any state or country are eligible for Wisconsin title only.
  • The seller is deceased.
  • You are under the age of 18.
  • You are registering a motor vehicle with Consecutive Monthly or Quarterly Registration
  • You bought the vehicle from a Wisconsin dealer. Your dealer must title and register the vehicle for you.
  • You will have a new loan on the vehicle. Your lender or dealer will assist you in titling and registering your vehicle.
  • More than two purchasers will be on the new title for the vehicle.
  • The vehicle is leased.
  • You will be hauling packages for hire.
  • You first started operating the vehicle in Wisconsin as the new owner more than one year ago.
  • The seller has a child support lien listed on the vehicle record.
  • You have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and need to update your primary residence address.
  • You or the seller of the vehicle have restrictions (incidents).

Other conditions may prevent you from using this system. When this occurs, a message will display with instructions. For more information on other vehicles, refer to getting a title and license plates​ or new residents.

If your title transfer does not qualify for eMV Public, use one of the following options:

  • Mail your application to the address listed on the Wisconsin Title and License Plate ApplicationMV1 Application​
  • Or visit one of the following locations:

Envelope Email Wisconsin DMV email service