Title and register your vehicle with eMV Public

Welcome to the fastest, most convenient way to title and register (receive or transfer plates) for your new vehicle in Wisconsin. The eMV Public online system will walk you through each step of the process. You can easily register any of these vehicles in your own name upon completion of a private sale:

  • Automobiles and Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
  • Light trucks (8,000 pounds or less, or farm trucks at 12,000 lbs.)
  • Motorcycles
  • Mopeds
  • Recreational Vehicle Trailers (campers and mobile homes under 40 feet)

This application allows you to title and register a vehicle in your name. If you want to title a vehicle in your name but will not operate it on public roadways (you will not get license plates), you may title the vehicle only by using the eMV Public - No License Plates application.

Review the eMV Public restrictions to confirm if this online service will work for your vehicle and get other titling options. Before you start, have these handy:

  • A Wisconsin​ ​title​​, signed by the seller(s), including:
    • ​An odometer reading completed by the seller(s) on the back of the title for vehicles less than 10 model years old.
    • A lien release if there is a lien holder listed on the front of the title and the loan is paid off.
  • ​​A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your social security number and date of birth.
  • Payment Information
    • Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover credit, debit card. Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service.
    • or
    • Checking/savings account using ACH (Automated Clearing House) and avoid the convenience fee.
  • A printer with 8.5 by 11 inch paper.

After you pay and complete your transaction, you must mail the following items to receive your vehicle title, registration and/or license plates. The mailing address is on the eMV Public eApplication/Receipt – there is no need to visit a DMV Service Center or an agency/business that offers title and registration services:

  • eMV Public receipt (see sample)
  • Valid original title signed by the seller
  • Other items, if applicable, such as
    • a valid original lien release if the vehicle currently has a lien
    • an MV2790 Trustee Statement for Certificate of Title if the seller is a trust

Helpful Resources

If applying for new plates, you must also print and display the temporary plate. See instructions. See an eMV Public temporary plate sample​. Temporary plates are not issued for motorcycles, mopeds or recreational vehicle trailers. ​

View the glossary for DMV terms or frequently asked questions (FAQs) for more information.

View instructions on how to download Adobe Acrobat Reader. You must also set this as your default viewer.

By selecting the below 'Start Now' button, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:

I agree that by completing this online application, I am obligated to mail the required documents to the department for completion of my vehicle transaction. The fees required for this transaction cannot be refunded.


This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.

Start Now​​

Title and register your vehicle now​.