Wisconsin and out-of-state titles can be used to apply online. Note: you can apply online for both a Wisconsin title AND plates.
You can easily apply online for either standard license plates or special plates (if eligible) for these vehicles (vehicle types marked with * will be able to print a Temporary Plate if eligible):
- Automobiles and Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)*
- Light trucks (<8,000 lbs.*, or farm trucks at 12,000 lbs.)
- Motorcycles (special plates not available online)
- Moped (special plates not available online)
- Recreational Vehicle Trailers (campers and mobile homes under 40 feet) (special plates not available online)
special plates are available for automobiles, SUVs, autocycles, and light trucks. eMV Public is not available for personalized plates or plates that require approval or eligibility verification (e.g. Military, Firefighter, Operating Engineer, Collector/Hobbyist). Please submit the appropriate application and fees by mail for these plates. See Special plates for specific plate requirements and applications.
How to apply:
1. Review the
2. Have these ready:
- A printer with 8.5 by 11-inch paper to print off the required documents.
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your Social Security number and date of birth. Here’s how to obtain a driver license with a valid
- The vehicle title, signed by the seller(s), including:
odometer reading completed by the seller(s) on the back of the title for vehicles less than 20 model years old.
lien release if there is a
lien holder listed on the front of the title and the loan is paid off.
- Payment Information
- Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service.
- Checking/savings account using ACH (Automated Clearing House) and avoid the
3. Complete the online process.
By selecting the "START NOW" button below, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:
I agree that by completing this online application:
I am obligated to mail the required documents to the department for completion of my vehicle transaction.
The fees required for this transaction cannot be refunded.
Junk vehicles are not eligible for WI title or registration.
Salvage vehicles are eligible for title only.
4. Remember to mail the following items after you pay and complete your online transaction:
- Title and License Plate eApplication/Receipt
- Valid original title signed by the seller. If there are any alterations on title, complete Statement of Intent
- A valid, original lien release if the vehicle currently has a lien.
P.O. Box 7907
Madison, WI 53707-7907
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
VIN error note: If you receive an error while entering the VIN, we are unable to recognize the vehicle. Please mail in your application.
DMV customer how-to guides