Note: This online service (eMV Public) can be used only if you have a Wisconsin title. If you have a title from a different state, your application must be mailed in (see separate box).
You can easily register online any of these vehicles in your own name upon completion of a private (non-dealer) sale:
- Automobiles and Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
- Light trucks (8,000 pounds or less, or farm trucks at 12,000 lbs.)
- Recreational Vehicle Trailers (campers and mobile homes under 40 feet)
How to apply:
1. Review the
restrictions to confirm this eMV Public online service will work for your vehicle.
2. Have these ready:
- A Wisconsin
title, signed by the seller(s), including:
odometer reading completed by the seller(s) on the back of the title for vehicles less than 10 model years old.
lien release if there is a
lien holder listed on the front of the title and the loan is paid off.
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your social security number and date of birth.
- Payment Information
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover credit, debit card. Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service.or
- Checking/savings account using ACH (Automated Clearing House) and avoid the
- A printer with 8.5 by 11-inch paper.
3. Complete the online process.
By selecting the link below, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:
I agree that by completing this online application, I am obligated to mail the required documents to the department for completion of my vehicle transaction. The fees required for this transaction cannot be refunded.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
4. Remember to mail the following items to receive your vehicle title, registration and/or license plates after you pay and complete your online transaction:
- Title and License eApplication/Receipt.
- Valid original title signed by the seller. If there are any alterations on title, complete Statement of Intent
- A valid, original lien release if the vehicle currently has a lien.
Send to: WisDOT-eMV Public
P.O. Box 7907
Madison, WI 53707-7907