In-state and out-of-state titles can now be processed online with the eMV Public online application. Note: you can receive title and registration (new Wisconsin title and license plates) OR just a title. Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) from out-of-state titles and certain types of vehicles may not be automatically recognized. If you receive an error, see note below for how to proceed.
You can easily register for either standard license plate or special plates (if eligible) using the online service for these vehicles:
- Automobiles and Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
- Light trucks (8,000 pounds or less, or farm trucks at 12,000 lbs.)
- Recreational Vehicle Trailers (campers and mobile homes under 40 feet)
special plates are available for automobiles, SUVs, autocycles, and light trucks. eMV Public is not available for personalized plates or plates that require approval or eligibility verification (e.g. Military, Firefighter, Operating Engineer, Collector/Hobbyist). Please submit the appropriate application and fees by mail for these plates. See
Special plates for specific plate requirements and applications.
How to apply:
1. Review the
2. Have these ready:
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your social security number and date of birth. Here’s how to obtain a driver license with a valid
- The vehicle
title, signed by the seller(s), including:
odometer reading completed by the seller(s) on the back of the title for vehicles less than 10 model years old.
lien release if there is a
lien holder listed on the front of the title and the loan is paid off.
- Payment Information
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover credit, debit card. Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service.or
- Checking/savings account using ACH (Automated Clearing House) and avoid the
- A printer with 8.5 by 11-inch paper.
3. Complete the online process.
By selecting the link below, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:
I agree that by completing this online application:
I am obligated to mail the required documents to the department for completion of my vehicle transaction.
The fees required for this transaction cannot be refunded.
Junk vehicles are not eligible for WI title or registration
Salvage vehicles are eligible for title only
Go to title your vehicle ONLY (no new or transfer license plates needed and you will not be able to legally operate the vehicle on Wisconsin roads)
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
4. Remember to mail the following items after you pay and complete your online transaction:
- Title and License eApplication/Receipt.
- Valid original title signed by the seller. If there are any alterations on title, complete Statement of Intent
- A valid, original lien release if the vehicle currently has a lien.
Send to: WisDOT-eMV Public
P.O. Box 7907
Madison, WI 53707-7907
VIN error note: If you receive an error while entering the VIN, we are unable to recognize the vehicle. Please mail in your application.