Apply for a permit

You have several options for obtaining an oversize/overweight permit:

Contact a commercial permit service

See List of permit services doing business with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

Note: Permit services may charge a fee, which is in addition to state permit charges.


  • Applications can be found on our forms page
  • Fill out proper application
  • There is a minimum 10-day turnaround time for mailed applications
  • Permit will be returned by mail or email if provided
  • Mail in your completed application and fees to:

Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation Permit Unit
P.O. Box 7980
Madison WI 53707-7980

Overnight mail must be directed to:

WI Dept. of Transportation Permit Unit
4822 Madison Yards Way, 3rd Floor South
Madison, WI 53705

Drop-Box (Madison)

  • Drop-off available 24 hours a day 7 days a week
  • Pickup will be once a day Monday through Friday
  • Located at the south entrance of Hill Farms State Office Building
    • 4822 Madison Yards Way Madison, WI 53705

If you have questions:

Oversize-Overweight Permits

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Highway Maintenance
P.O. Box 7980
Madison WI 53707-7980
Phone: (608) 266-7320