Determine if a permit is required

  • A permit is issued to a carrier to allow operation of a vehicle or load that exceeds the statutory limits.
  • Permits are generally issued for non-divisible loads, with some significant exceptions.
  • Permits are issued by WisDOT DTSD and local highway maintenance authorities (for local roads and state trunk highways within the jurisdiction's boundaries only and for certain types of permits).


A permit is typically required if vehicle dimensions exceed:

Width8 feet, 6 inches
Height13 feet, 6 inches
Length - (Single vehicle and load)45 feet
Length - (Combination of 2 vehicles)70 feet
Length - (Truck/tractor and semi trailer)75 feet (see Trans 276 for more information and exceptions)

For more information and exceptions to the above dimensions:


A permit is typically required if vehicle weights exceed:

Any one wheel or wheels supporting one end of an axle11,000 lbs
Truck tractor steering axle13,000 lbs
Single axle20,000 lbs
Tandem axles34,000 lbs
Maximum gross vehicle weights on all axles80,000 lbs


Weight limitations on class “B” highways are 60% of class “A” highway weight limitations.

Class “B” highways includes those county trunk highways, town highways and city and village streets or portions thereof, which have been designated as class “B” highways by the local authorities.

For more information and exceptions to the above weights:

What type of permit is needed?

If you have questions:

Oversize-Overweight Permits

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Highway Maintenance
P.O. Box 7980
Madison WI 53707-7980
Phone: (608) 266-7320


Statutory reference: Wis. Stat. ch. 348; Wis. Admin. Code ch. Trans 276​​