Wholesale dealer license application instructions
Print these instructions for easy reference while you complete each form. Note: For a list of license requirements and links to download license application forms see
Wholesale dealer license.
To get your license issued as soon as possible, make sure you complete all requested forms and include fees. Don't forget your phone number and mailing address—your license will be delayed if we can't reach you.
You will need these application forms:
- The Motor Vehicle Wholesaler Two Year License Application -
- Entity/Owner Statement -
- Business Facilities Statement -
- Dealer Bond
MV2511 - or, Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit MV1046
- Salesperson/Representative License Application
- Buyer's License Application -
- Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application
Motor vehicle wholesaler two-year license application (MV2860)
- Complete form
MV2860, pages 1 and 2.
- Legal name means your legal business name as it will appear on your license certificate.
- Trade name or DBA (Doing Business As) means a name your business is known by that is not your corporate or legal name. For example, Smith Automotive, Inc. DBA/John's Used Cars.
- If you are incorporated or organized as an Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) in the state of Wisconsin, fill in the date of incorporation or organization under "Date Licensed in Wisconsin." (If you are incorporated or organized in another state or country, fill in the state or country your company is licensed in under "State of Incorporation or Organization.")
- Answer all yes/no questions.
- If the business entity (sole proprietor, one of the partners in a partnership, corporation or LLC) doesn't own the business real estate, OR if you will be sharing facilities with another business, submit a copy of your lease.
- Remember to sign and date the wholesaler dealer license application.
- Zoning and local permit approval must be signed on page two of the wholesaler motor vehicle dealer application. All applicants must have a local official complete Section A. If the business is located in a township, also have a county official complete Section B for county zoning approval.
- Provide directions to your business if the address on the form doesn't include a street name and number.
Entity/owner statement (MV2844)
Complete one copy of the Entity/Owner Statement form
MV2844 for each person named on the wholesaler dealer license application as an owner; partner; corporate officer or shareholder of 10% or more of the corporation; association member; or LLC member or manager. Be sure to fill the form out completely and answer all questions. You may use the back of the form if additional space is needed.
Business facilities statement (MV3180)
MV3180 - Fill out your business name and address. Check the box beside each item that applies to your location. Be sure to sign and date the bottom of the form.
$25,000 surety bond or Irrevocable Letter of Credit
A Dealer Bond form
MV2511 is the only acceptable bond form you may submit to show that you have secured a bond. If you will be submitting an Irrevocable Letter of Credit instead of a bond, your bank may complete the Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit form MV1046 or they may reproduce the form on their bank letterhead. For a list of insurance companies accepting applications for bonds, see
Insurance companies that accept applications for bonds. The bond or Letter of Credit must be in force for the entire two-year license period. You'll need to keep the bond or Letter of Credit in force in order to renew your wholesale dealer license. If your bond or Letter of Credit expires or is canceled, Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is required to suspend or revoke your wholesale dealer license unless a new bond or Letter of Credit is submitted on or before the date of expiration or cancellation.
Salesperson/representative license application (MV2184)
MV2184 - Anyone who will be making sales to licensed dealers on behalf of your business must have a representative license. Each wholesaler must have at least one licensed representative. Complete a Salesperson/representative license application form for each person you wish to have a representative license. No exam is required for the representative license.
Buyer's License (MV2941)
MV2941 - Motor vehicle wholesale dealers who employ or contract with individuals to buy motor vehicles held by wholesale auctions or other dealers on their behalf must apply for a
Buyer's License. Buyer's Licenses are optional; you are not required to have one as a condition of being a licensed wholesale dealer.
Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application (MV2651)
Motor vehicle wholesale dealers are eligible to have
Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Cards for themselves and their employees. BID cards are optional; you are not required to have one as a condition of being a licensed wholesale dealer. If you wish to bid on vehicles offered for sale at salvage pools, you will need a BID card to do so.
If the business entity (sole proprietor, one partner in a partnership, corporation or LLC) doesn't own the business real estate, OR if you will be sharing a facility with another business, submit a copy of your lease. The lease must name the business entity as lessee (tenant) and it must be valid at least through the two-year licensing period.
See the Motor vehicle wholesaler two-year license application form
MV2860 for the correct fee amounts. The minimum you are required to pay includes the wholesale dealer License fee, at least one representative license fee and registration fee for at least two dealer license plates. Additional plates are available at a cost of $10 each. Make your check for all fees payable to Registration Fee Trust.
If you will be using your wholesale license to operate a motor vehicle salvage pool, you will not be required to purchase dealer license plates.
Before mailing your application materials
Check to be sure that:
- The Motor Vehicle Wholesaler Two Year License Application form MV2860 is completely filled in, signed and dated.
- The original Dealer Bond form
MV2511, or Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit form
MV1046 is enclosed.
- An Entity/Owner Statement form
MV2844 is completed and enclosed for each individual with an ownership interest.
- The Business Facilities Statement form
MV3180 is completed and enclosed.
- You've enclosed at least one completed Salesperson/Representative Application form
- A copy of your lease is enclosed if the business entity (sole proprietor, partner, LLC or corporation) doesn't own the business real estate, OR if you will be sharing facilities with another business.
- Your fee check is enclosed; payable to Registration Fee Trust.
Mail to the WisDOT Dealer Section at the address below.
What happens next?
The WisDOT Dealer Section will review your application for completeness, and conduct any necessary background investigations. We will contact you by letter or phone if we need more information to complete your application. As soon as the information is complete, a WisDOT field investigator will contact you to up an appointment to inspect your business location.
A complete application packet means your license can be issued sooner. Your license will be delayed if WisDOT has to return something to you or contact you for more information.
For more information:
If you have questions or prefer to have application materials mailed to you: