Moped dealer license

Moped Dealer Plate
Moped Dealer Plate

Complete, print, sign and submit signed original application forms:

  • Moped Application MV2861
  • Entity/Owner Statement MV2844
  • Moped Business Facilities Statement MV3182
  • Service Agreement MV2085
  • Financial Statement MV2195
  • Financial Statement Instructions MV2183
  • Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit MV1046
  • Dealer Bond MV2511
  • Articles of Incorporation Document

The moped dealer license allows a business to sell, offer to sell, negotiate the sale or lease with an option to buy mopeds only. "Moped" means any of the following motor vehicles capable of speeds of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, excluding a tractor, a power source as an integral part of the vehicle and a seat for the operator:

  1. A bicycle-type vehicle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 130 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.
  2. A Type 1 motorcycle with an automatic transmission and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 50 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.

If your business will sell cars or trucks in addition to mopeds, you will need a Retail dealer license instead of the moped dealer license. If your business will sell motorcycles in addition to mopeds, you will need a retail motorcycle dealer license instead of the moped dealer license. The retail dealer or motorcycle dealer license will authorize you to sell mopeds in addition to the other vehicles.

You must meet all of the following requirements to qualify:

  • An established place of business with an office and indoor display area big enough for three mopeds.
  • A Financial Statement form MV2195 showing a minimum required ratio of total assets to total liabilities of 1 to 4, or an original completed and signed bond or irrevocable letter of credit (ILOC) in the amount of $5,000.
  • Local zoning and permit approval.
  • A sales tax seller permit is required. To obtain one, contact the Department of Revenue at (608) 266-2776 or on their website under sales and use tax.
  • A service department or written agreement with a nearby service facility.
  • A lease for the business real estate unless the license applicant owns it.
  • An exterior business sign.
  • Fees payable to Registration Fee Trust for a two-year moped dealer license: $40 for the moped dealer license. Plates are optional, but will be needed if mopeds will be test driven or operated on public streets and highways. The cost is $150 for the first two plates, and $10 for each additional plate.

Moped dealers do not need a manufacturer franchise for new makes of mopeds sold. Moped salespeople do not need a salesperson license. You will need a Moped Dealer License form MV2861.

For More Information

Field investigation offices

Apply by mail

Apply by mail only - forms must be arranged in the order shown on the dealer checklist.

Mail all original signed application forms to the following address:

Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909

Make your check payable to Registration Fee Trust.