Manufacturer or Distributor license

​You will need these dealer license application forms:

  • Two-Year License Application MV2034
    • ​Out of state manufacturers are not eligible to apply for Wisconsin manufacturer plates (do not include $150 plate fees)
  • Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer MV2131
  • If applicable, a blanket contract, including specific dealer delivery and preparation obligations
  • Manufacturer's Certification of Distributor MV2241 (This form is required if you are applying for a Distributor License​)
  • Salesperson/Representative License Application MV2184

Manufacturer, distributor or importer license

Manufacturer license plate
Manufacturer license plate

The motor vehicle manufacturer, distributor or importer license allows a business to manufacture or assemble motor vehicles or do any other work on motor vehicles which constitutes a major manufacturing alteration. A major manufacturing alteration includes installing special bodies or equipment on previously assembled truck chassis, when the special body or equipment forms an integral part of the completed unit and the completed unit is owned by the manufacturer. The license also allows a person to operate as a distributor who sells new motor vehicles to dealers on behalf of manufacturers. Finally, it allows a business to import new motor vehicles to the US. Any manufacturer, distributor or importer employee who contacts dealers or prospective Wisconsin dealers for promotion or supervision purposes must be licensed as a representative license.

Steps to apply:

A. Complete, print and sign, and submit all original signed forms:

  • Two-Year License Application​​MV2034
  • Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer MV2131
  • Manufacturer's Certification of Distributor MV2241
  • Salesperson/Representative License Application MV2184
B. To operate as a manufacturer, you must provide the following:

  • A copy of your manufacturer/dealer selling agreement or a blind contract
    • a copy of the blanket contract, including specific dealer delivery and preparation​​​​ obligations
C. To operate as a distributor, distributor branch or importer, you must provide the following:
    • Items listed above.
    • A Manufacturer’s or Importer’s Certificate of Distributor (WisDOT form MV2241) completed and signed by an authorized representative of the manufacturer.

    D. Submit sample copy of the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin showing a vehicle identification number (VIN).

    E. Submit a picture of the Federal Certification Label (see below).

    Fed cert label  

    For more information:​


    Apply by mail only - mail all original application forms to the following address:

    Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation
    Dealer & Agent Section
    P.O. Box 7909
    Madison, WI 53707-7909

    Make your check payable to Registration Fee Trust.