Recreational vehicle dealer license

Complete, print, sign, and​ submit all original signed application forms:

  • RV Application MV2187
  • Entity/Owner Statement MV2844
  • RV Business Facilities Statement MV3183
  • RV Service Agreement MV2535
  • RV Salesperson/Representative License Application MV2184
  • Finan​​​cial Statement MV2195
  • Financial Statement Instructions MV2183
  • Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit MV1046
  • Dealer Bond MV2511
  • Articles of Incorporation Document

Recreational vehicle dealer license plate

The recreational vehicle dealer license, Recreational Vehicle Dealer Two Year License Application form, MV2187, allows a business to sell, offer to sell, negotiate the sale or lease with an option to buy recreational vehicles. For purposes of dealer licensing, a recreational vehicle is a trailer (no engine), less than 45 feet long, designed to be towed by a motor vehicle and equipped and intended to be used for temporary human habitation.

If your business will only sell motor homes (self-propelled by an engine) or other motor vehicles, you will need a Motor Vehicle Dealer License form MV2186. For more information, visit the retail dealer license page.

If your business will be selling mobile homes (travel trailers 45 feet long or longer) you will not need a motor vehicle dealer license. However, sale of mobile homes is regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112.

You must meet all of the fo​​llowing requirements to qualify:

  • Fill out an Entity/Owner ​Statement MV2844
  • Fill out a Recreational Vehicle Business Facilities Statement MV3183.
  • A building with a business office to maintain books, records and files.
  • A display lot is optional, but if one is provided, it must be within the same block or directly across the street from the office.
  • A sales tax seller permit is required. To obtain one, contact the Department of Revenue at (608) 266-2776 or on their website under Sales and Use Tax.
  • Local zoning and permit approval.
  • A service department or written agreement with a nearby service facility.
  • Fill out a Financial Statement form MV2195. (To assist in filling out the MV2195 form, use these instructions.)
  • Financial Requirement
    • You'll need one of the following: an original, completed and signed Surety bond (MV2511), a letter of credit (MV1046), or a Financial Statement in the amount of $25,000. (A $25,000 bond may be used in lieu of a Financial Statement.) If you are already licensed as a motor vehicle retail dealer at the same location, the $50,000 surety bond you provided as a requirement for that license will also cover the recreational vehicle dealer license, and you will not be required to submit a financial statement. For a list of insurance companies accepting applications for bonds, see insurance companies that accept applications for bonds.
    • You'll need to submit a Lessor bond MV2509 if your business will be listed as the lessor on the title of any vehicle sold.
  • An RV service agreement.
  • At least one licensed salesperson. That could be you or someone else. Note: A salesperson license exam is not required for recreational vehicle salespeople.
  • An exterior business sign.
  • A lease for the business real estate unless the license applicant owns it.
  • Fees payable to Registration Fee Trust for a two-year license: $100 for the RV dealer license, $150 for the first two dealer plates, $10 for each additional plate, $8 for each salesperson license.
  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • You must submit to a Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) inspection of the business location before the license is issued.

For more inform​​ation:

Apply by ma​il

Apply by mail only - mail all original signed application forms to the following address:

Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909

Make your check payable to Registration Fee Trust.