Wholesale dealers cannot sell to the public.
Wholesale dealers can only sell, offer or negotiate sales of motor vehicles to licensed dealers only. Motor vehicle salvage pools, which sell salvaged vehicles to licensed dealers, are also licensed as motor vehicle wholesale dealers.
- A permanent business location with indoor office space
- An outdoor vehicle display lot adjacent to the business office, unless all vehicles will be displayed indoors
- A $25,000 surety bond or irrevocable letter of credit. For a list of insurance companies accepting applications for bonds, see insurance companies that accept applications for bonds
- Zoning and local permit approval for the location
- An outdoor sign showing business name
- A sign with your business hours posted on or next to the entrance door
- Posted notice that sales are restricted to licensed dealers only
- A lease for the business real estate unless the license applicant owns it
- Fees for a two-year wholesale dealer license, dealer plate fee, and representative license fee. (More information on fees follows.)
- You must be at least 18 years old
Steps to apply for a wholesale dealer license:
- (See wholesale dealer license application instructions.) Print the instructions for your reference while completing application forms online.
- Complete and print the dealer license application forms noted below. You may complete forms online before you print them.
- Mail your completed application materials to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
Dealer and Agent Section
PO Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909
Forms to apply for a wholesaler dealer license:
- Wholesale Two-Year License Application MV2860 (print two copies)
- Entity/Owner Statement MV2844 (If your business has more than one owner, print and submit a form for each owner, partner, LLC member or manager, corporate officer or shareholder.
- Wholesale Business Facilities Statement MV3188
- Buyer's License Application MV2941(optional)
- Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application MV2651(optional)
- Articles of Incorporation Document
- Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit MV1046
- Dealer Bond MV2511 and $25,000 bond
If you wish to sell or lease vehicles to the general public, you will need a retail dealer license. For information about applying for a retail dealer license, see retail dealer license application instructions.