You will need these dealer license application forms:
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Two Year License Application
- Entity/Owner Statement
- MC Business Facilities Statement
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Service Agreement
- Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer
MV2131 (If selling new motorcycles)
- Salesperson/Representative License Application
- Buyer's License Application
- Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application
- Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit
- Dealer Bond
- Articles of Incorporation Document
Anyone who sells, leases, offers, or negotiates sales or leases of motorcycles in Wisconsin must have a motorcycle dealer license. (Individuals can sell up to five of their own vehicles each year without a dealer license.) Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) licenses dealers to ensure fair business competition and protect consumers.
If your business will sell mopeds only, and will not be selling cars, trucks or motorcycles, you will need a
moped dealer license instead.
If your business will be selling car or trucks in addition to motorcycles, you will need a
retail dealer license instead.
- A permanent business location—not a residence—with office space, an adjacent lot, and an indoor vehicle display area large enough to display or repair three motorcycles.
- Zoning and local permit approval for the location.
- A sales tax seller permit is required. To obtain one, contact the Department of Revenue at (608) 266-2776 or on their Web site under
Sales and Use Tax.
- A $5,000 surety bond or irrevocable letter of credit. For a list of insurance companies accepting applications for bonds, see
insurance companies that accept applications for bonds.
- A service department or written agreement with a nearby service facility.
- At least one
licensed salesperson. That could be you or someone else.
- A business sign and posted hours.
- A lease for the business real estate unless the license applicant owns it.
- A manufacturer’s certificate of appointment (franchise) if you will be selling new motorcycles.
- Required fees.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be of good character, and must not have been convicted of a serious crime directly related to the sale of motor vehicles.
Follow these steps:
retail motorcycle dealer license application instructions.) Print for your reference while completing application forms online.
- Complete and print application materials. You must submit all of the following application materials, except those listed as optional below. You may complete online forms on your screen before you print them. Some require additional handwritten information and signatures. You may not submit forms online. Mail completed paper copies of the required forms to the WisDOT Dealer & Agent Section.
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Two Year License Application form
MV2186 - Print two copies;
- Entity/Owner Statement form
If your business has more than one owner, print and submit a form for each owner, partner, Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) member or manager, corporate officer or shareholder;
- Motorcycle Business Facilities Statement form
- Dealer Bond form
MV2511 - If you will be submitting an Irrevocable Letter of Credit instead of the $5,000 bond, you will need to use the Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Irrevocable Letter of Credit form
MV1046 instead of the
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Service Agreement form
MV2085 - You do not need to print or submit this form if you have vehicle service facilities on the premises and will not be contracting with a repair facility;
- Salesperson/Representative License Application form
- Buyer's License Application form
MV2941 - The
Buyer's license is optional.
- Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application form
MV2651 - The
Salvage Buyer Identification Card is optional.
- Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer form
MV2131. This is a franchise agreement form, and is required only for businesses intending to sell new motor vehicles. Manufacturers may provide you with a similar franchise agreement form in place of the
For more information:
Apply by mail
Because the application forms require signatures of authorities and witnesses, they cannot be submitted online. Mail all completed applications to the following address:
Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909
If you have questions or to request application materials for the motorcycle dealer license: