If you are employed by a licensed dealer or wholesaler, you may apply for a buyer’s license. The buyer’s license allows you to bid on and purchase vehicles at wholesale motor vehicle auctions or dealerships. In order to buy vehicles for more than one employer, you must have a separate buyer's license for each employer. To do this you must submit a separate application signed by each employer. Employees of dealers or wholesalers that are licensed out of state may qualify for a buyer’s license.
To qualify for a buyer’s license, you must be at least 18 years old and you cannot have been convicted of a crime directly related to the sale of motor vehicles.
Licensed buyers can only buy vehicles on behalf of their employer(s), not for their own or other’s use.
Buyer’s cards expire on the same date as the employer’s dealer license. For out-of-state card holders, your Wisconsin credential expires on the same date as your home state dealer license or 12 months from the date we receive the application, whichever is sooner.
- The fee for an out-of-state buyer’s license is $6.
- The fee for an in-state buyer’s license expiring in one year or less is $6.
- The fee for an in-state buyer’s license expiring in more than a year is $12.
To apply for a new, renewal or replacement buyer’s license:
- Complete, print and sign the Buyer’s License Application form MV2941. Instructions for completing the form are included at the bottom of the form.
- Have your employing dealer or wholesaler sign the form.
- If you will be bidding on vehicles for more than one employer, you must submit a separate, signed application for each employer.
- If the employer is an out-of-state business, include a copy of the dealer or wholesaler license or other credential authorizing the business to operate in that state or jurisdiction.
Are you a veteran? You may qualify for a fee waiver for an initial license. Find out more!
NOTE: If you are a dealer outside the continental United States,
read instructions on how to apply for a Wisconsin Buyer’s License or Salvage Buyer Identification Card (BID Card).
NOTE: All licenses are mailed to the dealer license credential address only. No faxes, emails or photocopies will be sent in lieu of the actual license.
For more information:
If you have questions or to request application materials for the buyer's license: