A buyer’s license allows you to bid on and purchase vehicles at wholesale motor vehicle auctions or dealerships. Licensed buyers can only buy vehicles on behalf of their employer(s), not for their own or other’s use.
- Must be an employee of a licensed dealer or wholesaler
- Employees of an out-of-state or
international licensed dealer or licensed wholesaler may also qualify
- Employees buying for more than one employer must have a separate buyer’s license for each employer and an application signed by each employer
- At least 18 years old
Steps to apply for a new, renewal or replacement buyer’s license:
NOTE: No faxes, emails or photocopies will be sent in lieu of the actual license. Buyer’s licenses will be mailed to the address listed on the dealer’s license that was submitted with the application.
Buyer’s cards expire on the same date as the employer’s dealer license. For out-of-state card holders, your Wisconsin credential expires on the same date as your home state dealer license or 12 months from the date we receive the application, whichever is sooner.
Veterans may qualify for a fee waiver for an initial license.
Find out more!
- Out-of-state buyer’s license is $6.
- In-state buyer’s license expiring in one year or less is $6.
- In-state buyer’s license expiring in more than a year is $12.
Video tutorial: How to apply for a Buyer-BID Card license