Application shall be accompanied by a copy of the contract/agreement, which constitutes the complete agreement for instruction of students. A copy of the form must be submitted to the department for approval with the original application and will be kept on file. Since the contract/agreement is unique to each driving school, a standardized form is not available from the department.
To be approved, the contract/agreement form required by Wisconsin State Statute
- Be consecutively numbered
- Indicate date of application
- Identify school name
- Indicate the type(s) of lessons, lectures, tutoring or instruction to be given
- Fee to be charged or the word "none" if no charge
- Contain the statement, "This constitutes the entire agreement between the school and the customer or student and no verbal statement or promises will be recognized"
- Have the signature of the student
- If the student is under the age of 18, have the signature of the student's parent or guardian
- List the address of the student
- Have signature of the owner of the school or his/her authorized representative
A driver school may not instruct a student until a contract/agreement in a form approved by the department has been completed and signed by all parties.
A contract/agreement may not guarantee the issuance of a Wisconsin driver license.
No licensee may agree to give unlimited driver lessons, nor represent or agree, orally or in writing, or as part of an inducement (lure) to sign any agreement, to give instructions until the student obtains an operator's license.
No agreement may contain a "no refund" clause. It may include the following: "The school will not refund any tuition or part of tuition if the school is ready, willing and able to fulfill its part of the agreement."
Student record cards
Wis. Stat. § 343.71 requires driver training schools to maintain certain records for each student. For convenience, DMV provides Student Record Card MV3767 which meets all statute requirements. A school may develop its own student record card if they wish. A school must submit a copy of the student record card they decide to use for approval with the school driver license application.
Records shall be in the form of an individual student record for each person and include:
- Name: last, first and middle initial
- Home address
- Date of birth
- Contract/agreement number
- Dates, types, duration and fees charged for lecture, tutoring, period of instruction or other service relating to instruction in the operation of motor vehicles
- Name and license number of the instructor who gave each lesson or period of instruction or service relating to instruction in the operation of motor vehicles, and identification of the vehicle in which any behind-the-wheel instruction was given.
- Schools participating in the Cooperative Driver Testing Program under
WI Admin Code Trans 105.015 shall also record on the student record card the knowledge and highway signs scores for all tests attempted.
For more information