To start a CDL school, you will need the following:
Use the Driver Training School Checklist
MV3757 (Sections A-E) to ensure you complete all required documents and cover required curriculum topics prior to submitting to the Department.
The DMV is required to conduct a background check on every owner/manager and instructor of a CDL driver training school.
CDL instructors must pass tests for the CDL classes and endorsements they plan to teach, such as:
- CDL general knowledge test (taken at DMV)
- Highway signs test (taken at DMV)
- Endorsements (air brakes, doubles/triples, etc., taken at DMV)
- Hearing/vision tests (taken at DMV)
- CDL skills tests (Will be arranged with a Third Party Auditor as their schedule allows)
- Oral test (Make arrangements at the same time as the CDL skills test)