DMV is temporarily suspending road testing (Class D automobile) due to heightened concerns regarding the health and safety of customers and staff. CDL drivers should contact their examiner to confirm.
The following satellite operations are suspended through the duration of the Safer at Home order: Wittenberg, Fort Atkinson, Reedsburg, New Richmond, Abbotsford, Minocqua, Oconomowoc. Many DMV services can be completed online at wisconsindmv.gov
State law (section
341.08(2)(d) WI stats.) requires information on the city, village or town and the county in which the vehicle is customarily kept. WisDOT collects the vehicle “kept in” information at the time of application for title and/or registration. Any person who gives a false or fictitious location where a vehicle is kept may be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than six months or both (section
341.60, WI stats.)
Vehicle location information is used to:
- collect local county sales and use tax
- comply with the Federal Clean Air Act requirements for vehicle emissions testing in certain areas of the state
- collect county or municipal
- assist local, state and federal government agencies to study demographics and assess future public needs
If you recently
changed your address, WisDOT records for the vehicle location will update automatically in most cases.
Individuals may update or verify the county and city, village or township where their vehicle is customarily kept using the link below. Results include vehicles with current registration and registration expired less than one year. To check the registration expiration date for other vehicles, visit
License Plate Search.
To use this free look-up you will need:
- to be a registered owner or lessee of the vehicle
- if available, your Wisconsin driver license number or Wisconsin identification card number, the last four digits of your social security number, and date of birth
- if you do not know your driver license or identification card number, you will need to enter your proper name including first, last and middle initial, your complete social security number, and date of birth
Update or verify vehicle kept in information now.
Non-individuals, e.g. companies, vehicles titled in the name of a trust, etc. may be eligible for the
eMV Fleet registration program that includes the functionality to update vehicle kept in information.