Personalized license plates
Vehicles that qualify:
- motor home (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- DMV service centers
cannot process personalized plate applications. All applications for personalized plates must be mailed to the address below.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required
each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee. Motorcycles and farm trucks, which are renewed biennially, cost an additional $15 for each year of registration ($30 total).
Personalized plate search to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- DOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
- If you later decide to re-register with standard license plates, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your plates will expire within the next three months. Subtract $15 from your annual personalized plate renewal fee if you are sending the change request with the renewal notice.
- For more information, visit
personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
- Print clearly and sign the Personalized License Plate Information Application MV2428
- Choose 1-7 characters (except for a motorcycle plate choose 1-5 characters).
- Use capital letters or numbers.
- Provide the meaning of your request, i.e., what does this represent?
- Make check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust.
- Complete the vehicle information on form
MV2428 if you want to have these plates ordered (not just reserved) at this time. If your plates are expiring within the next three months, also send the annual/biennial registration fee.
- If you just want to reserve a personalized plate message, complete the application, but omit the vehicle information and check Reserve Only Box. Send the application and $15. You will receive a confirmation notice with further instructions.
- Mail with payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
For more information:
Special Plates Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service
Phone (608) 266-3041
Fax (608) 267-5106