Work on highway right of way (ROW) permits

Truck working along side roadA permit is required for any other state trunk highway (STH) right of way work that is not related to utilities, driveways or road/street connections. This work may include, but is not limited to:

  • Storm sewers for highway drainage
  • Drainage pipes and drainage tile
  • Temporary pipes/hoses for irrigation, animal waste, etc.
  • Landscaping
  • Ground monitoring wells
  • Vegetation cutting under Wis. Stat. s. 84.305
  • Surveying
  • Soil borings
  • Crash investigation and clean-up
  • Removal of contaminated soils
  • Environmental and invasive species assessments
  • Frac sand transported by pipe or conveyor
  • Municipal welcome signs under Wis. Stat. s. 84.30(2)(hm) and s. 86.19(1n)
    • New WisDOT policy for municipal welcome sign permits

How to apply for a work on highway ROW permit

Fill out form DT1812, Application/permit to work on highway right-of-way, and provide a complete description of the proposed work along with detail drawings, construction methods, types of materials, and the length of time needed to complete the work. Submit the completed form and supporting documentation to the transportation region office responsible for the county where the proposed work will be located.

For faster permit application processing, submit all materials electronically via email, or for larger files, a file transfer protocol (FTP) site. If you do not have access to a FTP site, WisDOT can provide one. Submit the permit form as a Word document with an electronic (typed) signature instead of scanning it. Supporting materials should be in PDF format. You may also submit the application and supporting materials by regular mail. If you do this, the application must be filled out in ink.


Direct questions on specific work on highway ROW permit issues or requests to the transportation region office.

For questions on WisDOT work on highway ROW permit policy and form, contact:

Bob Fasick
Wisconsin DOT
Bureau of Highway Maintenance
4822 Madison Yards Way, 5th Floor South
Madison, WI 53705
(608) 266-3438

Associated Wisconsin law

Visit the links below for Wisconsin law associated with utilities and permitting on state right of way.