Before you get started:
- Personalized and some special license plates are not available for replacement using this online service.
- Review the
restrictions page to check whether this online service will work for your license plate(s).
- Your license plates must be replaced if one or both plates have been lost, stolen, damaged or are illegible
- You must be the owner or lessee of the vehicle to apply for a replacement license plate
- A new license plate number, certificate of registration and stickers will be issued to you
- Destroy the old plate(s) when you receive your new license plates
Have these ready:
- A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11-inch paper to print a temporary license plate, when applicable
- A valid email address
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Must be an individual, not a business
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle found on your certificate of registration or
on the vehicle
- Payment Information
- Credit/debit card (convenience fee applies) or
- Checking/savings account and avoid the
You should receive a replacement plates in the mail within 4 weeks after completing the online application.
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Apply by mail
Processing times will be longer for mailed-in applications. Use the online option to receive your replacement title faster.
If your plate does not qualify to be replaced online,
have these ready:
- A printer with 8.5 by 11-inch paper to print off the required documents
- Complete and sign Replacement License Plate (MV2118)
- Payment information
- Check or Money Order (do not send cash) made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
Mail to: WI Dept. of Transportation
P.O. Box 7949
Madison, WI 53707-7949