Before you get started:
- You must be the owner, lessee or driver of the vehicle to apply for a replacement license plate
- Businesses cannot use this online service and must apply by mail or in person (see instructions below)
- If your registration/plates are expired:
- Apply for a replacement Certificate of Registration online (below)
Renew license plates online and updated stickers and Certificate of Registration will be mailed to you
Have these ready:
- An email address
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your Social Security number and date of birth
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle which can be foundon the vehicle
- A printer if needing a Certificate of Registration only (no stickers); it will be emailed to you to print
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel or receive a refund for a Certificate of Registration. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Apply by mail
Processing times will be longer for mailed-in applications. Use the online option to receive your replacement title faster.
Complete and sign Duplicate Certificate of Registration (MV2026)
Include a check or money order (do not send cash) for $2 made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
Mail to: WI Dept. of Transportation
PO Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911