For operation of a commercial motor vehicle (Classes A, B, or C), a driver may also obtain one or more endorsements. Each endorsement requires a special knowledge test when originally issued.
Use the interactive driver licensing guide for information on commercial driving requirements, get a checklist of requirements, and pre-fill any required application(s) before visiting a DMV Customer Service Center. You may also electronically submit your application(s) and schedule an appointment with the DMV, depending on your eligibility.
Wisconsin Endorsements are:
- T=Double/triple trailers
- Commercial Motor Vehicles with double or triple trailers
- N=Tank vehicles
- Any commercial vehicle that is designed to transport a liquid or gaseous material within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the commercial motor vehicle of the chassis.
- H=Hazardous Materials
- Vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placarding or any quantity of a material listed as an agent or toxin.
- Requires a background check, including fingerprinting, for all drivers renewing or transferring the "H" endorsement for the first time.
- Requires completion of the Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application MV3735.
- Requires successful completion of the "H" knowledge test.
- S=School bus
- All school buses, including those which are commercial motor vehicles.
- Requires a knowledge and driving skills test when originally issued and upon every renewal.
- P=Passenger vehicle
- Vehicles designed to carry, or actually carrying, 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
- Requires a driving skills test when originally issued.
- F=Farm service (Restricted CDL)
- Restricted to farm service operation only with classes B/C.
Wisconsin has a classified licensing system. The classes are:
- Class A
- For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds provided the GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of the towed vehicle(s) is more than 10,000 pounds.
- Class B
- For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds, or such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of 10,000 pounds or less.
- Class C
- For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of 26,000 pounds or less, (or such vehicle towing a vehicle less than 10,000 pounds) transporting hazardous materials requiring placarding or designed to carry 16 or more persons including the driver.
- Class D
- For operation of automobiles; light trucks and mopeds.
- The Class D license can also have a school bus endorsement if the vehicle is designed to carry less than 16 persons including the driver.
- Class M
- For operation of motorcycles.
For more information: