​For operation of a commercial motor vehicle, (Classes A,B, or C), a driver may also obtain one or more endorsements. The Class D license can also have a school bus endorsement if the vehicle is designed to carry less than 16 persons including the driver. Each endorsement requires a special knowledge test​ when originally issued.

The school bus "S" endorsement requires a knowledge and driving skills test when originally issued and upon every renewal. The passenger "P" endorsement require a driving skills test when originally issued. The Patriot Act requires a background check, including fingerprinting​​​, for all drivers renewing or transferring the "H" endorsement for the first time. Driver are also required to complete the Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application​​ MV3735. Successful completion of the "H" knowledge test is also required.

The interactive driver licensing guide is a helpful tool for those looking for information on commercial driving requirements. The guide will provide you with a checklist of requirements, and allow you to pre-fill any required application(s) before visiting a DMV Customer Service Center. Depending on your eligibility, you may also be able to use the guide to electronically submit your application(s) and schedule an appointment with the DMV for expedited service.

Wisconsin Endorsements are:

  • T=Double/triple trailers
    • Commercial Motor Vehicles with double or triple trailers
  • N=Tank vehicles
    • Any commercial vehicle that is designed to transport a liquid or gaseous material within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the commercial motor vehicle of the chassis.
  • H=Hazardou​​​​s Materials
    • Vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placarding or any quantity of a material listed as an agent or toxin.
  • S=Sch​​​ool bus
    • All school buses, including those which are commercial motor vehicles.
  • P=Passenger vehicle
    • Vehicles designed to carry, or actually carrying, 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
  • F=Farm service (Restricted CDL)
    • ​​Restricted to farm service operation only with classes B/C.​​​

​For more information:​

​Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service​
Phone (608) 264-7447