Voluntary surrender - medical

​How can you volunt​arily surrender your license?

Licenses can be surrendered at any time. If you have a medical condition or disability that interferes with safe driving (whether temporary or permanent), you can do one of the following:

  • ​Surrender your license:
    • ​Complete a Voluntary Temporary Surrender MV3581 form and mail it to the DMV at the address below along with your driver’s license.
  • Surrender your license and apply for an identification (ID) card by doing 1 of the following:
    • Access online ID card application page. Hit the blue button at the bottom of the page to apply for an ID card. You will be prompted to surrender your license as you go through the online process.
    • ​Complete the Voluntary Temporary Surrender MV3581 form and go to your local DMV customer service center to submit the form in-person and request an identification card.

​Note: In both cases, if you are eligible to vote, you will be provided the opportunity to select a free ID card for voting purposes. Customers over the age of 65 may also have the opportunity to apply for a non-expiring ID card. Please be aware that the ID card gets mailed to you within 10 days of application.​

​​Medical Review & Fitness Unit
P.O. Box 7918
Madison WI 53707-7918

Email Wisconsin DMV email service​​
Phone (608) 266-2327
Fax (608) 267-0518