This online application can only be used to apply for a Wisconsin identification (ID) card. A driver license (DL) cannot be processed through this online application.
You can use this online application to apply for a duplicate or a renewal of an ID card.
Customers who wish to surrender their driver license can also use this online service to surrender their license and apply for an ID card at the same time. (Note: Surrender of your driver license will make you ineligible to operate a motor vehicle in all states.)
If you are eligible to vote, you will be provided the opportunity to select a free ID card for voting purposes. Customers over the age of 65 may also have the opportunity to apply for a non-expiring ID card.
Note: Your request for an ID card is not complete until you receive a confirmation message at the end of the transaction. Once the online transaction is completed you cannot cancel the transaction nor receive a refund.
Please review everything below before using this online application.
Requirements - you will need the following items:
- Your Wisconsin ID/DL card number, the last four digits of your Social Security Number (or your full Social Security Number if you don't have your Wisconsin ID/DL card number available), your date of birth and your zip code.
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express)
- For credit or debit card payments, your account will be charged the required duplicate or renewal product fee and
You will not be able to use this online system if:
- Your ID card has been expired for more than two years.
- Your ID card is currently cancelled.
- Your previous ID card renewal was processed online.
- You have applied for four ID card duplicates online within the last year.
- The Social Security Number on record does not verify with
Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV).
- You have had a legal name change since your ID card was last issued.
- You are not a U.S. citizen (non U.S. citizens must visit a
DMV customer service center to apply).
- Your photo is not on file at Wisconsin DMV, or your photo on file does not meet current DMV photo standards.
- You would like to apply for an original (first time)
REAL ID-compliant ID card. Persons applying for a REAL ID-compliant ID card for the first time must visit a DMV customer service center.
- You are renewing your ID card and need to have the card mailed to an out-of-state address. If you are a Wisconsin resident, temporarily out of state, and need to renew your ID, you may be eligible to apply by mail.
- You wish to update or disclose an invisible disability.
Change of address
This online application will ask you to verify your Wisconsin residence and/or mailing address and will allow you to make any needed updates before requesting your ID card.
A receipt, including your photo, will be available for you to view and print upon successful completion of this online transaction. This receipt is acceptable photo identification for voting and serves as your ID until your card arrives in the mail. Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher is required to view and print ID card receipts. If you do not have a printer but wish to obtain a receipt, please contact the Driver Eligibility Unit at (608) 264-7049.
Your ID card will be processed and mailed to you through the USPS using first class mail. If you have not received your ID card within 10 business days, please contact the Driver Eligibility Unit at (608) 266-0898.
Note: This service is not available from 2 - 3 a.m. each day due to system updates.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Begin online ID card application