Wisconsin ID card for voting purposes - petition process (IDPP)

(en español)

U.S. citizens can easily get a free ID for voting, even if not all documentation is available!

  1. Go to the DMV to apply
  2. Bring the following, if available:
  3. If you don't have all of these, you can still get an ID for voting if you are a U.S. citizen and will be at least 18 years of age by the next election. Bring what you have to the DMV, fill out two forms (form MV3004, and form MV3012), and you will get a photo ID document in the mail that you can use in time for voting. Here is a sample of the document you'll be receiving.
  4. This process is authorized via Wis. Stat. 343.165(8).

Call our voter ID hotline if you need assistance: (844) 588-1069

If you already hold an unexpired Wisconsin driver license or identification (ID) card, or if you hold a Wisconsin driver license or ID card that has expired since the last general election, you have what you need to vote. A Wisconsin driver license or ID card is acceptable photo ID for voting.

DMV does not have information regarding voter eligibility, poll locations, voter registration information or other election information. Please contact your local election officials or county clerk for election information. The Wisconsin Elections Commission is another useful source of information.

IDPP monthly statistics

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1069
Voter ID hotline: (844) 588-1069