The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) sends license plate renewal notices at least one month before the current license plate expiration date. A new policy went into effect in 2022, where the expiration will always be at the end of the month for Autos, Autocycles, and Light Trucks. If you lost your renewal notice or never received it, see
lost renewal notice.
late fee is due for auto, light truck, motorcycle and moped renewals received by DMV after the date of expiration. You may legally operate your vehicle on Wisconsin public roads once you submit the renewal fee.
License plate search to:
- Check when your plate expires.
- Check to see if an
emissions test is required for the vehicle.
- Check whether your plate is suspended or valid.
In addition to the regular annual registration fee paid for a vehicle, all vehicles with automobile registration or truck registration at 8,000 lbs. or less (except dual purpose farm registration) may be subject to:
- Easy: Sign up for eNotify to receive your renewal reminders by email or text. A notification before the expiration date (and reminder if no action is taken) will be sent to your preferred account. The email or text will include direct links to the renewal options. See below for direct online renewal information.
- Traditional: If you don't receive your renewal reminders by email or text (via eNotify), watch for your registration renewal postcard. It has information on additional fees included in your registration.
Ways to renew
DMV provides many options to
renew online and a new license plate sticker and Certificate of Vehicle Registration will be mailed within 7-10 business days.
- Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit
- Debit card (processed as credit)
Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service
- ACH (Automated Clearing House) from your checking or savings account
PayPal and Apple Pay will be available with some services
Mail the renewal notice and fee to the address shown on the notice. You will receive a new plate sticker and Certificate of Vehicle Registration within 10 business days.
Title - registration service providers
DMV has authorized several agencies and businesses to act as agents to provide basic vehicle registration services. You will receive a new license plate sticker and Certificate of Vehicle Registration from the agent. These agents may charge a maximum service fee of $10 for a renewal transaction and $19.50 for a title transaction. Service hours and methods of payment vary.
DMV services centers (find out what plates are available at each DMV)
Present the license plate renewal notice and fee at any of the DMV customer service centers offering vehicle registration services. You will receive a new license plate sticker and Certificate of Vehicle Registration. There is a $3 counter service fee per renewal application.
DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit.
For more information: