Gold Star license plates are available to any Wisconsin motorist who has had an immediate family member (see list below) die while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, or in forces incorporated as part of the U.S. armed forces, if the immediate family member meets any of the criteria specified in
10 USC 1126(a)(1) to (3) for a gold star lapel button. The qualified individual must be the vehicle owner or lessee, including the trust of a qualifying trust beneficiary. Immediate family member:
- spouse of a grandparent, parent, sibling, child, stepchild, stepparent or grandchild
Vehicles that qualify:
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- Gold Star license plates can feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
- No issuance fee is required when non-personalized Gold Star plates are issued.
- A $15 fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee if you choose to receive personalized Gold Star license plates.
- See below for information about other military related license plates.
For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
DMV Service Centers do not issue Special or Personalized License Plates you must mail in your application.
To apply for Gold Star license plates by mail, please send the following items:
- If the vehicle you want to register with Gold Star plates is already titled/registered in your name, send:
- If the vehicle is not titled/registered in your name, send:
- A completed Wisconsin Title and License Plates Application
MV1, or MV11 for dealer sales, including all other fees due. A completed Gold Star License Plate Information and Application MV2951 including the Affirmation for Gold Star license plates
- The Certificate of Title assigned to you by the seller
- The annual registration fee if you do not have plates or your current plates expire within the next three months
- $15 personalized plate fee, if applicable
- Make the check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.
- Mail with payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
Personalizing your Gold Star license plates is optional. A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee. On the Gold Star License Plate Information and Application MV2951, check which option you would like us to follow if your request is not available. Please allow an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Visit Personalized plate search to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available. WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
For more information: