Ex-Prisoner of War license plates are available to any Wisconsin motorist who is certified as a former prisoner of war by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and authorized by Wisconsin State Statute
341.14(6). The applicant for Ex-Prisoner of War plates must be an owner or lessee of the vehicle, or the beneficiary of a trust that owns or leases the vehicle.
Vehicles that qualify:
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- There are no issuance or registration fees for one vehicle owned or leased by a person who qualifies for the plates.
- Additional vehicles registered with Ex-Prisoner of War plates require payment of a $15 issuance fee plus the annual registration fee.
- If the registration fees for the vehicle are different, the vehicle with the lowest registration fee type is free.
- Ex-Prisoner of War plates expire annually and must be renewed even if no fee is required.
- The plates may be transferred to a surviving spouse or domestic partner.
- No special parking privileges are provided with Ex-Prisoner of War plates. See
Disabled parking identification permits, Disabled Veteran license plates or
Disabled parking license plates for information about special parking privileges for persons with disabilities that impair the ability to walk.
- Personalized plates are not available for Ex-Prisoner of War license plates.
- See below for information about other military related special license plates.
For more information, visit
personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
Ex-Prisoner of War plates are not available at local
DMV customer service centers. To apply, send the following items:
- If the vehicle you want to register with Ex-Prisoner of War plates is already titled/registered in your name, send:
If the vehicle is not titled/registered in your name, send:
A copy of your Certificate of Registration
A letter of verification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To obtain a letter, call the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.
If registering a second or subsequent vehicle with Ex-Prisoner of War plates, send $15 issuance fee and the annual registration fee if your current plates expire within three months or you have no plates
If a payment is required, make the check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.Mail with payment to:
- A completed Wisconsin Title and License Plates Application
MV1, or MV11 for dealer sales, including all other fees due
- A letter of verification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To obtain a letter, call the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.
- If registering a second or subsequent vehicle with Ex-Prisoner of War plates, send $15 issuance fee and the annual registration fee if your current plates expire within three months or you have no plates
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
For more information: