​Specific Information Signs (SIS)

The SIS logo program is designed to direct motorists to services located up to five miles from Interstate highways, Road Sign - Foodfreeways, and conventional highways designated by the legislature as of May 8, 1990, as SIS highways. The program is designed to be self funded without any state or federal support.

SIS may only include the following categories of motorist services AND meet the following standards for the respective category.

  • Gasoline
    • Must have vehicle services including fuel, oil and water. Provide restroom facilities and drinking water. Be in continuous operation for at least 16 hours a day, seven days per week for freeways and expressways. Be in continuous operation for at least 12 hours a day, seven days per week for other highways, provided automotive fuel is available under the emergency fuel allocation program and provide a public telephone.
  • Food
    • Must have licensing or approval where required. Regular operation at least five days a week, opening for service no later than 10 a.m. and remaining open until at least 7 p.m. Also 50 percent of the gross receipts are from meal, food, food product and beverage sales and a public telephone.
  • Lodging
    • Must have licensing or approval where required. Adequate sleeping accommodations and public telephone.
  • Camping
    • Must have licensing or approval where required. Adequate parking accommodations, and modern sanitary facilities and drinking water.
  • Attractions
    • Must have the primary purpose of providing amusement, historical, cultural or leisure activities to the public. Be of regional significance and provide adequate parking to accommodate normal traffic volumes for the facility. Not be identified on any supplemental signing or guidance sign on the same route as the specific information sign and comply with the laws concerning the provisions of public accommodations without regard to race, color, age, sex, or national origin, and laws concerning the licensing and approval of service facilities. The SIS Program Advisory Council reviews applications under the "Attractions" category.
    • Send completed application form to:
      Interstate logos - Wisconsin
      4918 Triangle St.
      McFarland, WI 53558
      (844) 496-9163
    • Map of SIS highways in Wisconsin

To qualify for display of gas, food, lodging, camping or attraction, on a SIS, OR to find out more information:

Tourist oriented directional signs (TODS)

TODS provide motorists with directional information for qualifying tourist-related businesses, services or activities.

Qualifying businesses

Tourist-related businesses, whose major portion of income or visitors is derived from visitors who do not reside in the immediate area where the business is located, qualify for TODS. The business cannot have direct access to a state or U.S. highway, but must be located within five miles of a state or U.S. highway.

Businesses qualify for TODS in five categories:

  • Gasoline
    • Must be open at least 12 hours per day, seven days per week and provide restrooms, drinking water and a public telephone.
  • Food
    • Must be open five days per week from at least 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and have at least 50 percent of gross receipts from food and non-alcoholic beverages.
  • Lodging
    • Includes hotels, motels, resorts, boarding houses or bed & breakfast establishments. Must have parking accommodations.
  • Camping
    • Must provide restrooms, drinking water and a public telephone.
  • Tourist attraction
    • Must be open at least eight hours per day, five days per week for at least three consecutive months and provide restrooms and drinking water. The attraction must also be of significant interest to the traveling public (shops, amusement parks, etc.).

TODS prohibited in some cases

  • Some urban areas prohibit TODS. Contact your county highway department.
  • Highways designated as Specific Information Sign (SIS) highways (most freeways and expressways) prohibit TODS.
    • For more information on SIS, call Interstate logos - Wisconsin (614) 332-4709.
  • Businesses with illegal outdoor advertising signs cannot have a TODS sign.

The TODS program is self-funded. No state or federal funds support the program. All administration, manufacturing and installation costs are paid by applicants.

The TODS sign life is estimated to be 10 years, but fees are collected for a 5-year duration. Total estimated costs over the 10-year period are around $550 – that’s $55 per year or about one dollar per week for each sign.

Estimated costs over 10 years:

  • Administration fee $100/sign ($20 per year fee)
  • Sign cost $100/sign (Fees vary based on size)
  • Installation fee $250/sign
  • Total estimated cost $550/sign

To obtain a TODS

Contact the county highway department in which the sign will be located to obtain a TODS application.

Complete the application and attach a check for $100 payable to the county (this is the administration fee for a 5-year period). If you don’t qualify for the program, or there isn’t room for a TODS at the desired location, the check will be returned.

Businesses that qualify for a TODS will receive a list of qualified TODS sign manufacturers. Contact as many manufacturers as you wish to get the best price.

Bring the sign to the county highway department with a check for $250 payable to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (this is the installation fee).

The county highway department will install the sign.

For more information on TODS, contact:

Jeannie Silver
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Traffic Operations
(608) 246-5408
Related information