Military veterans

​Veteran identifier on Wisconsin driver license or ID

Veteran driver license

To get the veteran identifier on your driver license or ID card:

  1. Verify your eligibility​ with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. Contact the Veterans Benefits Resource Center at: 1-800-WIS-VETS or VetExpress​.


    ​​​Cont​act your local County Veterans Service Officer to obtain certification of your veteran status for the identifier.

  2. ​Once you've established eligibility, you may apply at the Wisconsin DMV. If renewing or getting your first driver license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local DMV. If it's not time to renew, you have the option to get a duplicate product online.

MOVE-IT (Making Opportunities for Veteran Employment in Transportation)

The State of Wisconsin wants to honor the service our military veterans have given to our state and country. State agencies are working together to ease the transition to civilian jobs. 

Here are resources to help transfer valuable military skills to Wisconsin’s transportation industry.

Military skills test waiver

If you have a license to operate military commercial vehicles, you may be eligible for the Military Skills Test Waiver or Military Even Exchange programs to receive a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL).

Commercial operation and licensing resources

​​​Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service​​​