Application instructions

Salvage dealer license application instructions

Print these instructions for easy reference while you complete each form. Note: For a list of license requirements and links to download license application forms see Salvage dealer license.

You will need these application forms:

  • Motor Vehicle Salvage Dealer or Recycler Two Year License Application MV2180
  • Business Facilities Statement
    • Type 1 MV3184 - Dismantles vehicles and sells parts, has yard.
    • Type 2 MV3185 - Conducts all business within a building; no salvage yard.
    • Type 3 MV3186 - Scrap metal recycler, shredder or baler does not dismantle.
    • Type 4 MV3187 - Transports vehicles directly to a licensed salvage yard or scrap metal recycler.
  • Entity/Owner Statement MV2844
  • Financial Statement MV2195 and Financial Statement Instructions MV2183 or Dealer/Salesperson Bond MV2511
  • Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application MV2651 (optional)

Motor vehicle salvage dealer or recycler two year license application (MV2180)

  1. Complete the MV2180 form, pages 1 and 2.
  2. Legal name means your legal business name as it will appear on your license certificate.
  3. Trade name or DBA (Doing Business As) means a name your business is known by that is not your corporate or legal name. For example, Smith Automotive, Inc. DBA/John's Used Cars.
  4. If you are incorporated or organized as an Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) in the state of Wisconsin, fill in the date of incorporation or organization under "Date Licensed in Wisconsin." (If you are incorporated or organized in another state or country, fill in the state or country your company is licensed in under "State of Incorporation or Organization.")
  5. A sales tax seller permit is required. To obtain one, contact the Department of Revenue at (608) 266-2776 or on their Web site under sales and use tax.
  6. Answer all yes/no questions.
  7. If the business entity (sole proprietor, one of the partners in a partnership, corporation or LLC) doesn't own the business real estate, OR if you will be sharing facilities with another business, submit a copy of your lease.
  8. Check one box under "main location" to indicate the type of business and facilities. If you check the fourth box, use the line below the box to write the address where the vehicles used for transporting salvage will be parked. If you listed an additional location within the same municipality, check one box under "Additional Location" to show the type of business and facilities at that location.
  9. Fill in the date your business facilities will be ready to open.
  10. Remember to sign and date the salvage dealer license application.
  11. Zoning and local permit approval must be signed on page 2 of the salvage dealer application. All applicants must have a local official complete Section A. If the business is located in a township, also have a county official complete Section B for county zoning approval.
  12. Provide directions to your business if the address on the form doesn't include a street name and number.

Entity/owner statement (MV2844)

Complete one copy of the Entity/Owner Statement form MV2844 for each person named on the salvage dealer license application as an owner; partner; corporate officer or shareholder of 10% or more of the corporation; association member; or LLC member or manager. Be sure to fill the form out completely and answer all questions. You may use the back of the form if additional space is needed.

Financial statement (MV2195)

Follow the directions on the Financial Statement Instructions MV2183.

You may submit a $25,000 surety bond in place of the financial statement. If you choose this option, complete a Dealer/Salesperson Bond form MV2511. It is the only acceptable bond form you may submit to show that you have secured a bond. For a list of insurance companies accepting applications for bonds, see insurance companies that accept applications for bonds. The bond must be in force for the entire two-year license period. You will need to keep the bond in force in order to renew your salvage dealer license. If your bond expires or is canceled, WisDOT is required to suspend or revoke your salvage dealer license unless a new bond is submitted on or before the date of expiration or cancellation.

Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application (MV2651)

Motor vehicle salvage dealers are eligible to have salvage buyer identification (BID) cards for themselves and their employees. BID cards are optional; you are not required to have one as a condition of being a licensed salvage dealer. If you wish to bid on vehicles offered for sale at salvage pools, you will need a BID card to do so.


If the business entity (sole proprietor, one partner in a partnership, corporation or LLC) doesn't own the business real estate, OR if you will be sharing a facility with another business, submit a copy of your lease. The lease must name the business entity as lessee (tenant) and it must be valid at least through the two-year licensing period.


Salvage dealer licenses are issued for a two-year period. The two-year fee is $150; BID cards are optional at a cost of $12 each. Make your check payable to Registration Fee Trust.

Before mailing your application materials

Check to be sure that:

  • The Motor Vehicle Salvage Dealer or Recycler Two Year License Application form MV2180 is completely filled in, signed and dated.
  • The Financial Statement form MV2195 is filled in, signed and dated or you've enclosed an original Dealer/Salesperson Bond form MV2511.
  • An Entity/Owner Statement form MV2844 is completed and enclosed for each individual with an ownership interest.
  • You’ve enclosed a copy of your lease if the business entity (sole proprietor, partner, LLC or corporation) doesn't own the business real estate.
  • Your fee check is enclosed, payable to Registration Fee Trust.
  • You've enclosed two required letters from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). One states you have current permit coverage for stormwater discharge or are exempt (Type 4 salvage dealers only). The second letter states you are currently registered with the DNR to recover refrigerants from vehicle air conditioners, or that you have certified to the DNR that you are using another DNR-registered entity to perform all refrigerant recovery at your facility, or that you do not receive any vehicles with refrigerants.

Mail to the WisDOT Dealer & Agent Section at the address below.

What happens next?

The WisDOT Dealer Section will review your application for completeness, and conduct any necessary background investigations. WisDOT's Dealer Section will contact you by letter or phone if more information is needed to complete your application. As soon as the information is complete, a WisDOT field investigator will contact you to up an appointment to inspect your business location.

A complete application packet means your license can be issued sooner. Your license will be delayed if we have to return something to you or contact you for more information.

For more information:

Apply by mail only - mail all original signed application form to the following address:

Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation
Dealer and Agent Section
PO Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909

Make your check payable to Registration Fee Trust.